CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Sunday, March 15, 2009

Day 7

Dear Journal,

Our day started late and began with Lolo and Ignacio fighting over who was a better shooter and aimer. Of course, I couldn’t be compared because I still haven’t shot anyone. I hope I will be able to and not be afraid.

After morning practice and drills, we got terrible news from Mendoza. San Ildefonso has fallen! We need to claim it back immediately; tomorrow, in fact. We filled up the truck with the scant supplies we had, and split up into different groups. The time had come to finally get on the battlefield. I had no idea how I would be able to do it. I was a new recruit, and everyone was better than me. They were all brave soldiers, and I was an amateur.

Being outside the Fortress felt like I was free. I felt trapped inside there; it was like a prison. We marched to the Santa María and ate the same beans, tortillas and drank coffee. We were given 2 clips each and were told to clean and load our guns. I don’t know how on earth they expected us to fight using such little ammo. Lolo and I were sent by Sergeant Díaz to hide around the river. I couldn’t believe the time had come, we were about to face those stinking Loyalists. Eventually, boats came with the Loyalists packed on them, and we fired. I was randomly shooting, not knowing where the bullets were landing; I didn’t even know if I was shooting anybody. The men screamed painful screams, which made my stomach sick, and sunk to the bottom of the lake and drifted away. I accomplished the greatest success of my life. I was now one of them. I was a soldier in the 43rd war.

Uno Ramírez

Picture from: http://news.bbc.co.uk/nol/shared/spl/hi/pop_ups/04/africa_sierra_leone0s_civil_war/img/1.jpg

0 comments: